Jamila El Sahili
Jamila was born in Beirut, Lebanon and raised in Datteln, Germany where she earned her Bachelor of the Arts Degree from Ruhr-University Bochum. At the age of 24 she moved to New York City where she's been living with her children and partner Atikur Abdul. For years she worked alongside the critically acclaimed artist Hank Willis Thomas before she became a Co-Founder of The Soze Agency. As a mother, refugee, immigrant and a Muslim Woman of Color, Jamila's hope is to create important work that will push us to question the status quo and to peacefully fighting against the injustices happening in this world.
- The Beginning: A Group Exhibition, El Barrio's Artspace PS 109, New York, NY, 2015.
- Social in Practice: The Art of Collaboration, Nathan Cummings Foundation, New York, NY, 2014.
- Social in Practice: The Art of Collaboration, Tisch School of the Arts NYU, New York, NY, 2014.
- Foreign Postcards as part of Bartertown , Dumbo Arts Festival, New York, NY, 2014.
- Foreign Postcards as part of Bartertown , Brooklyn Museum, New York, NY, 2014.
- Roses In Concrete, Google.org, San Francisco, 2018.
- I Am An Immigrant, Fwd.Us, San Francisco, 2017.
- I Am An Immigrant, Fwd.Us, Los Angeles, 2017.
- I Am An Immigrant, Fwd.Us, New York, 2017.
- The Museum Of Drug Policy, Open Society Foundations, Montreal, 2017.
- The Museum Of Drug Policy, Open Society Foundations, New York, 2016.
- Art For Social Justice, Amnesty International, New York, 2015.
- Write For Rights, Amnesty International, New Orleans, 2015.
Exhibition Review: 'Social Practice: The Art of Collaboration', Prison Photography, 2014.
Art + Culture | Social in Practice: The Art of Collaboration, by the Nathan Cummings Foundation, Exhibition Opening Ceremony, Black Congolese, 2014.